For more information on this topic,see the full article.
What Are Exogenous Ketones?
Exogenous ketones are a supplement used for boosting performance and energy, or complementing a low carb diet designed for weight loss. They are ketones you can consume that your body isn’t directly making. However from your cell’s perspective, they cannot tell the difference.
Recall that fats break down into ketones, which are then used as fuel by the body. Exogenous ketones are ketones that come from outside the body.
How to Use Exogenous Ketones
Use exogenous ketones to increase the ketone (energy) levels in your body which will:
- Transition you into ketosis faster, which help with symptoms of the “keto-flu”
- Boost energy at anytime of day (during work or exercise)
- Get back into ketosis after eating carbohydrates
- Suppress appetite in between meals or during a fast
- Reduce inflammation
- Increase mood and mental performance
Benefits of Exogenous Ketones
- Higher Ketone Levels: Especially in the morning or between meals, ketones boost your body into an effortless fat burning mode.
- Physical Performance: Ketones before and during workouts give you energy and decrease need for oxygen.
- Mental Focus: Ketones improve energy levels for brain cells, increasing mental output and sharpening focus.
- Improved Overall Wellbeing: Ketones help you get into ketosis for benefits from enhanced well-being, to disease prevention and longevity.
How To Start Taking Exogenous Ketones
For those new to ketosis, our bodies aren’t used to running on ketones, so expect anadjustment period. Try 1⁄4 scoop first, heavily diluted in water (which will also help with the taste).
Transitioning to ketosis removes water from our bodies, so getting lots of water will help with any dehydration and stomach issues. Increase your exogenous ketone intake from there.
When to Take Exogenous Ketones
- In the morning or between meals for a sustained energy boost.
- Before or during exercise as a no-carb energy boost. Try our Pre-Workout supplements for an even bigger boost to your workouts.
- During the day for peak mental performance and sharper focus (Try mixing it in your coffee or tea).
- After eating a meal that knocks you out of ketosis (eg. high carbs) to transition yourself back into ketosis.
Notes on Exogenous Ketones For Weight Loss
Exogenous ketones are very effective supplements, but none the less, should be supplementary to a low carb/ketogenic style of eating that is geared towards weight loss (if weight loss is the goal).
Exogenous ketones don’t cause weight loss, they help cause ketosis. In other words, they don’t directly make you burn fat, but can help make it much easier to incorporate a lifestyle that leads to fat loss.
Ketosis is a metabolic state where your body is using fatty acids for its primary source of energy. Using fat for fuel does not automatically guarantee weight loss. It all depends on how much fat and protein you are eating, in addition to being below a carb threshold that will induce ketosis.