By now you’re probably no stranger to seeing vegetables substituted for all sorts of ingredients in cooking these days.
The problem is that most of the healthier spins on these traditional dishes still leaves you missing the taste and texture of your favorite classic meals. Fortunately this version of zucchini keto lasagna will officially have you switched over for the rest of your life!
The main star in this dish is of course zucchini and it will be replacing our traditional lasagna noodles. Not only will this versatile squash variety provide the structure to the dish, but did you know that zucchini is actually loaded with a wide variety of nutrients and health benefits?
Zucchini: A Nutritional Powerhouse
- High source of antioxidants and phytonutrients
- Rich in potassium
- Easily digested
- Low in calories
Who knew that this unseemingly simple vegetable could pack such a powerful punch of nutrients and help you ditch all of those carbs in classic lasagna?
One thing that makes this zucchini lasagna different than others you may have tried is its absolutely loaded with flavor. This flavor comes from the unique combination of spices as well the seasoned sausage which also happens to provide a healthy protein boost.
This lasagna is also:
- Low carb and keto friendly
- Grain & gluten free
- Allergen friendly
- Easily adaptable to be vegetarian
- Great for meal prep
You will never look at lasagna quite the same way ever again!
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee, coconut oil, or lard
- 1/2lb spicy italian sausage or sweet italian sausage
- 15oz ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 large zucchini's (sliced long ways to 1/4” pieces)
- 16oz Rao's marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flake (depending on how spicy you want this dish)
- 1/4 cup basil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter or fat of choice in a large skillet over medium high heat. Crumble and brown Italian sausage. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Add ricotta cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese, 1 egg, coconut flour, salt, and pepper to a small bowl and mix until smooth. Set aside. Add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes to jar of marinara, stir well. Set aside.
- Add layer of sliced zucchini to the bottom of greased dish. Spread 1/4 cup of cheese mixture over zucchini, sprinkle with 1/4 of the Italian sausage, and then add a layer of sauce. Repeat process 3-4 times until ingredients are all gone, ending with a layer of sauce. Add remaining mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fresh basil if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 364 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 21g||32%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|