Beef and chicken are key protein sources that are extremely beneficial for your health, however, they aren’t the only protein sources. When it comes to credit, pork chops tend to get the short end of the stick, but luckily, the keto diet is making pork a staple protein source for your favorite dinner recipes. (Looking for other keto dinner options? Check out our list here for inspiration!)
Pork is made up of mainly mono and polyunsaturated fats, providing the key fats needed to improve heart health and cholesterol levels. Pork is also abundant in key vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid as well as phosphorus, selenium, sodium, zinc, potassium, copper and magnesium.
Vitamins such as vitamin B6 are important for the process of metabolizing different macronutrients and other nervous system functions. Riboflavin (aka vitamin B2) is more responsible for repairing damaged tissue and improving the health of your skin.
Zinc is also a key compound found in pork. If you’re not conscious of your zinc intake, it could lead to zinc deficiency, which could cause many imbalances, such as changes in appetite, weight fluctuations, hair loss, digestive issues, chronic fatigue or even fertility issues.
If this is your first time trying to cook pork chops, don’t be intimidated. This ideal dinner recipe calls for the pork chops to be prepared in a similar fashion to steak, first by browning both sides on a skillet and then popping it in the oven for the remainder of the cook time.
See? Not so scary.
Along with an abundant amount of seasonings to choose from, you can top these bad boys off with some keto barbecue sauce for a final touch. Think you can’t have low carb barbecue sauce? With this keto barbecue sauce recipe, you’re sure to stay in ketosis with low carb ingredients such as tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, brown mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Tired of the same chicken and beef as your main protein source? Try whipping up some pork chops for a deliciously perfect keto option that is guaranteed to fit your keto macro needs.
Nutritious, Baked Pork Chops
These baked pork chops are the ultimate keto-friendly meal! Full of nutrient-dense protein, pork chops are satiating, low in carbs, and easy to whip up.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 pork chops
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray non-stick cooking spray in large baking dish.
- Combine parmesan cheese and spices in shallow dish. Whisk together until well-combined.
- Heat avocado oil over medium heat in large skillet.
- Coat pork chops in seasoning and place on hot skillet. Brown both sides of pork chops. Transfer browned pork chops to prepared baking dish.
- Pour optional barbecue sauce over top of pork chops.
- Bake pork chops in oven until internal temperature reaches 150 degrees, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow pork chops to rest until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees, about 10 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 pork chop
- Calories: 423
- Fat: 17.2g
- Carbohydrates: 4g (Net Carbs: 3.2g)
- Protein: 59.8g
Keywords: baked pork chops