This might not be your authentic Mexican enchiladas recipe, but these Beberé Enchilada Style Stuffed Peppers will definitely give you a kick of spice! This recipe also uses keto-friendly ingredients, so you don’t have to pass on an enchilada dish.
You might be looking at the recipe thinking: where are the tortillas? Unlike the enchiladas you’re used to, we’ve mixed it up a bit with the ingredients. The goal is to stick to the ketogenic diet and it’s macronutrient targets after all. Like we often do, we’ve substituted with the ever so versatile cruciferous vegetable, the cauliflower. The cauliflower can mimic starchy foods like the tortilla but is still lower in carbs and is loaded with nutrients like fiber, potassium, and vitamins C, K, and B6.
Get a Kick of Spice
Cheers to another spice blend—Beberé! So, what’s in beberé? Although there are many variants to the blend, beberé typically includes spices like chili peppers, garlic, ginger, basil, cardamom, rue and fenugreek, just to name a few. Most commonly found in Ethiopian cuisine, this spice blend makes a great substitute for your traditional taco mix as the multiple spices bring their own unique flavor and health benefits. Some of the health benefits associated with beberé include:
- Vitamins: the chili peppers provides Vitamin A for vision support and to help the immune system function; Vitamin C for our bodies to make serotonin and collagen.
- Minerals: the fenugreek provides raboflavin, or B2, to maintain skin health and increase energy levels. This spice also provides minerals like iron and copper.
- Dietary Fiber: Fenugreek is also a great source of fiber to help improve intestinal health.
Other honorable mentions for beberé are due to this spice blend’s ability to help and treat conditions like cardiovascular issues, intestinal distress, and respiratory ailments. If you’re ready for a sweet yet spicy meal, these beberé enchilada stuffed peppers, give this recipe a try!
Beberé Enchilada Style Stuffed Peppers
These aren’t your authentic Mexican enchiladas, but these Beberé Enchilada Style Stuffed Peppers will definitely give you a kick of spice!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 5
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Ethiopian
- 2lb 85% lean pastured ground beef
- 1 cup organic frozen cauliflower rice
- 3 tbsp Kerry Gold butter
- 1/2 maui onion
- 1 large carrot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp smoked sea salt
- 2 tsp beberé
- 5 large bell peppers
- 5 dollops organic, lactose free sour cream
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. In the meantime dice your carrot, onion and garlic.
- Add the butter to the skillet; once it’s melted add in the diced veggies.
- Sauté, stirring occasionally until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add in the beef, salt and bebere, stir well, breaking up the beef until crumbly and browned. Mix in the cauliflower rice. Stir until well incorporated. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. While the oven heats cut the tops off of your peppers, remove the core and seeds. Then spoon the beef mixture into them. Arrange the peppers in a casserole dish.
- Top each one with a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle a little extra spice mix on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes! Serve hot!
- Spice Mix: you can also use your favorite taco seasoning or hot curry
- Sour Cream recommendation: Green Valley
- Calories: 516
- Fat: 38.8
- Carbohydrates: 8.4
- Protein: 35
Keywords: bebere enchilada style stuffed peppers
Cristina Curp is the creative mind behind The Castaway Kitchen, a blog dedicated to delicious foods and healing diets. Food is thy medicine and it should taste damn good.